Thursday, September 8, 2016

Noticing Ignorance and Noticing Drives

Tonight I stayed up late having a wonderful date with my darling Ashlynn. Then I stayed up later reading articles on LessWrong. Eventually, I read this one on how easy it is essentially not to notice our own confusion, not just about big, complicated things, but one's own life and habits. "For it is a sad rule that whenever you are most in need of your art as a rationalist, that is when you are most likely to forget it."
My desire to talk about this article inspired me to immediately and quickly solve several problems. Not knowing if I had an account on the website;
and then, not being able to log in properly after I had made one;
and then, figuring out where to talk about it even though it seemed I was unable to add additional comments (perhaps they have been closed due to the age of the article).
Bam bam bam. Suddenly I'm motivated, suddenly I'm here and blogging again, something I would ordinarily see as a bit of a chore, because it takes time, and is slightly challenging. Phooey. I may be reluctant to write, but I am almost always happy to have written.
The art of getting around to things and time management is an elusive one, certainly, and for me as well, but I am conscious of it, thankfully. If I am sitting around waiting to feel more inclined to do something, sitting around is not helping me; if I am taking time to relax, I would prefer to relax with the confidence and contentment of having accomplished an acceptable quantity and quality of the things I had set out to do already.
If I am not feeling able to cheerfully focus on my work, then... I'll be honest, I often forget to quickly "check in with myself". My drives will play an influence on my productivity and ability to focus long before they actively demand my attention.
Of course, sometimes it really is just as simple as the presence of distracting noise in the background. It can be hard to find a place in college to sit and work on homework between classes without being distracted by the noise of strangers' passing conversations. But other times, it's something else.
Am I tired? Am I hungry? Am I feeling unclean and in need of a shower? Am I feeling lonely? Restless? Am I worried about something?
I may be eager or anxious to finish things, but I have been thankfully getting much better at recognizing that I am not currently able, and then, instead of idling and waiting for my mood to change on its own if I'm too tired to get any real work done, I can do something productive like taking a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment