Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Final Exam

Before writing the exam:

The first exam I took in this same testing room was in much different circumstances, just a few students here.

Today, I arrived just on time, and had to wait in line to be processed for about ten minutes, then sit and log in to a computer and wait again until one of the staff on duty here comes to open my exam with the password for me. Five minutes? Ten? I brought a Monster drink with me, and I consider that there is some risk of my being distracted during the test by a need to pee. I wait anxiously for my chance to begin.

I did not study much for this, but I did put in a solid two hours from home this afternoon before coming here, to get my brain back in the practice of the course's exercises and ready. I've got my depreciation pretty well down, from the looks of it, although I'm still a little confused about some methods of tracking impairment. The review document was about half depreciation, with some impairment and capitalisation of intangible assets and goodwill.

-----
After writing the exam:

It went pretty much as expected. I did have to pee for about half of the duration, but regained my focus thoroughly enough to get through the test and answer every part neatly and thoroughly. In a couple of matters, I put a great deal of work into applying all the details of a theory that I wasn't sure was actually the right theory to apply. The doubt was a difficulty, but I overcame it to make my explanations thorough, if it turns out they were the right ones. All in all, I think I can feel fairly confident of earning at least an 80% on the final exam and on the course in general. Grade A, although not A+. I'm happy with that.

I came back from the college hungry and shaky with caffeine jitters, chatted to my roommates, ate some spaghetti, and then retired to play Drawful and Xyzzy with a few close friends for several hours. It was an excellent evening of gaming. My friend Lyric stormed the first game of Xyzzy, reaching 12 points and victory while everyone else was back at 6 or so, and then we played another one, to 15, and it was my turn to have an awesome winning streak. I closed the game with a blank card and a reference to a theme about sandwiches having voting rights which had been established in the previous round. The last winning combination of the game was "WHY DO YOU HATE SANDWICH FREEDOM?" ...And I was very, very happy with that as a cap to it all.

The relief of being finished the term at last is tremendous and happy and floaty. I look forward to a short rest from active enforced schoolwork, and a fresh start to the next.

I will take a couple of days to just relax, if I feel like I need them, and will make a point of prioritizing checking out free available classes at the school's fitness center, and preparing for Pathways Week.

... It's been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment