Monday, October 1, 2012

Last Night

(an excerpt from my personal diary on September 30, 2012)

Sunday Night

I snuggle up in bed on my last night in this homeless shelter - if I'm lucky, maybe for my whole life. I'll come back for meals, of course, but that's different. I look forward to the new troubles ahead. How will I get along with my new roommate Steven throughout the year to come? Will I grow to hate my little bedroom with its scrubby carpet, or grow to love it?

Tomorrow it all begins... Tomorrow.

The lady who slept across from me having gone, along with many others, the dorm, right now, seems very peaceful for my final night. Some of the residents are coughing, perhaps having caught the cold that was going around before. Now and then, I hear a cellphone jingle. Of course, I don't have my earplugs in yet.

I have a fair bit to do over the next few days - shop for furniture prices, send some emails, practice poetry for the open mic night on Wednesday... possibly even more. It should make an interesting break from having nothing much to do for so long. Maybe it will be a good start for the things to come. I hope so.

Appropriately, I am reaching the end of this little book which has become my journal. I will have to buy another one soon. It's tempting, of course, to start a new diary as soon as I move in, but that would create undue pressure to write more impressively or more regularly that I may not be able to live up to, and certainly will not be spurred to by the application of pressure or guilt. No, I think I should fill out the rest of the pages first. In my own time. I wonder how many wonderful things might grow from the seeds I've put in these pages... where I might take the ideas and phrases herein... in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment