Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Sting of Rejection - But Not What You'd Think

I feel guilty today. On my way home from a walk around town and lunch at My Sister's Place, I met the eyes of an attractive-looking black man and he stopped me to talk for a moment. He introduced himself as... I suppose it would likely be spelt Santha - It sounded like Santa with an accent and a soft t - asked if I lived on "this side" (of the city, I guess) and said something about looking for a relationship. Then his phone rang. He excused himself and asked me to stay, but I didn't, I slowly wandered away, not wanting to stick around just for the awkwardness of trying to be graceful about rejecting him verbally.

He was very handsome, and I was, admittedly, eyeing him a bit before he spoke to me. But he had an accent so thick I could scarcely understand a thing he said. Communication is important in relationships and communication problems caused by heavy accents just annoy me and make it hard for me to feel on level ground with anyone. It couldn't have worked. Maybe I should have stayed to say that aloud, but I imagine my just walking away probably delivered a message of rejection without having to get into reasons or details. If I see him again and have the balls, maybe I'll apologize and explain. To be honest, though, I don't really hope I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment